Re: proposal: CREATE DATABASE vs. (partial) CHECKPOINT

On 10/26/2014 11:47 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> After eyeballing the code for an hour or two, I think CREATE DATABASE
> should be fine with performing only a 'partial checkpoint' on the
> template database - calling FlushDatabaseBuffers and processing unlink
> requests, as suggested by the comment in createdb().

Hmm. You could replace the first checkpoint with that, but I don't think
that's enough for the second. To get any significant performance
benefit, you need to get rid of both checkpoints, because doing two
checkpoints one after another is almost as fast as doing a single
checkpoint; the second checkpoint has very little work to do because the
first checkpoint already flushed out everything.

The second checkpoint, after copying but before commit, is done because
(from the comments in createdb function):

>  * #1: When PITR is off, we don't XLOG the contents of newly created
>  * indexes; therefore the drop-and-recreate-whole-directory behavior
>  * of DBASE_CREATE replay would lose such indexes.
>
>  * #2: Since we have to recopy the source database during DBASE_CREATE
>  * replay, we run the risk of copying changes in it that were
>  * committed after the original CREATE DATABASE command but before the
>  * system crash that led to the replay.  This is at least unexpected
>  * and at worst could lead to inconsistencies, eg duplicate table
>  * names.

Doing only FlushDatabaseBuffers would not prevent these issues - you
need a full checkpoint. These issues are better explained here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/28884.1119727671@sss.pgh.pa.us

To solve #1, we could redesign CREATE DATABASE so that replaying the
DBASE_CREATE record doesn't zap the old directory, and also doesn't copy
any files. We could instead just assume that if the transaction commits,
all the files have been copied and fsync'd already, like we assume that
if a CREATE INDEX commits in wal_level=minimal, the underlying file was
fsync'd before the commit.

That would also solve #2, when doing crash recovery. But it would remain
when doing archive recovery. I guess we could still redo the copy when
in archive recovery mode. I believe it would be the first time we have a
WAL record that's replayed differently in crash recovery than in archive
recovery, so here be dragons...

> It's not exactly trivial change, but it does not seem frighteningly
> difficult coding either.
>
> The templates are usually static, so this would minimize both the CREATE
> DATABASE duration and disruption to the cluster it causes.

I wonder if we should bite the bullet and start WAL-logging all the
files that are copied from the template database to the new database.
When the template database is small (template0 is 6.4MB currently), that
wouldn't generate too much WAL. We could perhaps do that only if the
template database is small, and do the checkpoints otherwise, although I
wouldn't like to have subtly different behavior depending on database
size like that.

- Heikki