Re: pg_background (and more parallelism infrastructure patches)

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: pg_background (and more parallelism infrastructure patches)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/22/2014 04:03 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I got to ask: Why is it helpful that we have this in contrib? I have a
>> good share of blame to bear for that, but I think we need to stop
>> dilluting contrib evermore with test programs. These have a place, but I
>> don't think it should be contrib.
>
> I don't think pg_background is merely a test program: I think it's a
> quite useful piece of functionality.  It can be used for running
> VACUUM from a procedure, which is something people have asked for more
> than once, or for simulating an autonomous transaction.  Granted,
> it'll be a lot slower than a real autonomous transaction, but it's
> still better than doing it via dblink, because you don't have to futz
> with authentication.

I think this is a very useful program but I wonder if it makes more
sense to push it out to pgxn? Why do we need an ever growing contrib?
Further, if it is good enough to go into contrib, why isn't it just in core?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."