Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064
Дата
Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
>> Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I would suggest going further.  I would make the change on the client side,
>>> and have libpq refuse to send unhashed passwords without having an
>>> environment variable set which allows it.

>> As noted, that would break LDAP and RADIUS auth methods; likely also PAM.

> Which would be an altogether good thing as all of those end up exposing
> sensitive information should the server be compromised and a user uses
> one of them to log in.

Hm.  I'm less concerned about that scenario than about somebody snooping
the on-the-wire traffic.  If we're going to invent a connection setting
for this, I'd say that in addition to "ok to send cleartext password"
and "never ok to send cleartext password", there should be a setting for
"send cleartext password only if connection is encrypted".  Possibly
that should even be the default.

(I guess Unix-socket connections would be an exception, since we never
encrypt those.)

BTW, do we have a client-side setting to insist that passwords not be
sent in MD5 hashing either?  A person who is paranoid about this would
likely want to disable that code path as well.

Сообщение: Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064
Сообщение: Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064