Re: get_actual_variable_range vs idx_scan/idx_tup_fetch

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: get_actual_variable_range vs idx_scan/idx_tup_fetch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/17/14, 4:49 PM, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> On 10/17/14, 11:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> writes:
>>> This week we had one of the most annoying problems I've ever encountered
>>> with postgres.  We had a big index on multiple columns, say,  foo(a, b,
>>> c).  According to pg_stat_all_indexes the index was being used *all the
>>> time*.  However, after looking into our queries more closely, it turns
>>> out that it was only being used to look up statistics for the foo.a
>>> column to estimate merge scan viability during planning.  But this took
>>> hours for two people to track down.
>>
>>> So what I'd like to have is a way to be able to distinguish between
>>> indexes being used to answer queries, and ones being only used for stats
>>> lookups during planning.
>>
>> Why?  Used is used.
>
> Because I don't need a 30GB index on foo(a,b,c) to look up statistics. If I ever have a problem, I can replace it
witha 5GB one on foo(a).

That problem can exist with user queries too. Perhaps it would be better to find a way to count scans that didn't use
allthe fields in the index.

I do also see value in differentiating planning use from real query processing; not doing that can certainly cause
confusion.What I don't know is if the added stats bloat is worth it. If we do go down that road, I think it'd be better
toadd an indicator to EState. Aside from allowing stats for all planning access, it should make it less likely that
someoneadds a new access path and forgets to mark it as internal (especially if the added field defaults to an invalid
value).