Re: COPY data into a table with a SERIAL column?

От Steve Wampler
Тема Re: COPY data into a table with a SERIAL column?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/16/2014 10:44 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:
> On 10/16/2014 11:38 AM, David G Johnston wrote:
>> COPY is dumb but fast.  If you need logic you need to add it yourself.
>> Either before the copy or copy into a temporary UNLOGGED table and write
>> smart SQL to migrate from that to the live table.
>>
>> You can also put smarts into a trigger.

Never thought about a trigger on a COPY before.  I'll look into that and
see what the hit is.

I was kinda hoping there was the equivalent of \N for indicating the use
of a default value instead of a null value, but I accept that such a thing
might be too expensive for COPY's goal in life.

Maybe the best approach is to switch to a batched insert, which might be
fast enough for my needs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu

This mail was scanned by a trial version of BitDefender
For more information please visit http://www.bitdefender.com/