Re: Maximum number of WAL files in the pg_xlog directory

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Maximum number of WAL files in the pg_xlog directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/15/2014 02:17 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> > If we don't count the WAL files, though, that eliminates the best way to
>> > detecting when archiving is failing.
>> >

> WAL files don't give you this directly. You may think it's an issue to get
> a lot of WAL files, but it can just be a spike of changes. Counting .ready
> files makes more sense when you're trying to see if wal archiving is
> failing. And now, using pg_stat_archiver is the way to go (thanks Gabriele
> :) ).

Yeah, a situation where we can't give our users any kind of reasonable
monitoring threshold at all sucks though.  Also, it makes it kind of
hard to allocate a wal partition if it could be 10X the minimum size,
you know?

What happened to the work Heikki was doing on making transaction log
disk usage sane?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.