Re: table versioning approach (not auditing)

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: table versioning approach (not auditing)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/7/14, 10:40 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm pretty convinced at this point that history/versioning should be built on top of a schema that always
containsthe current information, if for no other reason than so you always have a PK that points to what's current in
additionto your history PKs.
> One of the motivations for having an effective_date, was being able to put changes into the database ahead of time.

Yeah, allowing for future data makes things more interesting. My first inclination is that it's a completely separate
requirement,and you would track the history of all records that you had at a point in time. Doing that means you can
seethings like someone changing the effective date from Nov. 1 to Dec. 1. But clearly this is an area where you have to
takethe business case into account.