Re: psql generate insert command based on select

От Leonardo M. Ramé
Тема Re: psql generate insert command based on select
Дата
Список pgsql-general
El 10/10/14 a las 14:37, Adrian Klaver escibió:
> On 10/10/2014 10:27 AM, "Leonardo M. Ramé" wrote:
>> Hi, today I needed to re-create certain records deleted from a mysql
>> database, so I restored an old backup, opened a terminal and logged in
>> to the old database using the "mysql" command line utility, then opened
>> a new terminal with mysql connected to the production database. Then did
>> a "select * from table where id=xxx \G;" to display a record, then, on
>> the other terminal I had to write "insert into table(field1,
>> field2,...,fieldN) values(...);" for each record.
>>
>> While doing that I tought of a neat feature that psql could provide,
>> that is something like "\insert for select * from table where id=xxx;"
>> this should create the insert command for the requested query.
>>
>> Is such a thing already present in psql?.
>
> I may be missing something but:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-insert.html
>
> INSERT INTO films SELECT * FROM tmp_films WHERE date_prod < '2004-05-07';
>
> or are you thinking of something that takes a SELECT query and turns
> it into a series of INSERT queries.
>
> The only way I can of doing this is to use pg_dump -t some_table -a
> --inserts or --column-inserts

The problem is I needed the make the insert statements in another
database, not the one I was connected to for soing the select.

The pg_dump could help in part, because after creating it I need to
delete all the unneeded records.

--
Leonardo M. Ramé
Medical IT - Griensu S.A.