Re: How to get good performance for very large lists/sets?

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: How to get good performance for very large lists/sets?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/6/14, 3:02 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone can help with advice on how to manage large lists/sets of items in a postgresql database.
>
> I have a database which uses multiple  lists of items roughly like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE List (
>    ID SERIAL,
>    Name VARCHAR ....
> );
>
> and a table containing individual entries in the lists:
>
> CREATE TABLE ListEntry (
>    ListID INT, /* Reference the List table */
>    ItemID INT /* References an Item table */
> ) ;
> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ListEntryIDX ON ListEntry(ListID, ItemID);
BTW, performance-wise, your best bet might be to forget about using a listentry table (BTW, I recommend not using
CamelCasefor database object naming) and instead put an array in the list table:

CREATE TABLE list(
     list_id         serial     PRIMARY KEY
     , list_name     varchar    NOT NULL UNIQUE
     , list_items    int[]      NOT NULL||||

);

I think there's an extension/add-on that would let you enforce referrential integrity between list_items and the items
table,but I can't find it now.
--
Jim Nasby, Data Architect, Blue Treble

От: Jim Nasby
Сообщение: Re: Converting char to varchar automatically
От: Melvin Davidson
Сообщение: Re: Converting char to varchar automatically