Re: proposal: doc: simplify examples of dynamic SQL

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: proposal: doc: simplify examples of dynamic SQL
Дата
Re: proposal: doc: simplify examples of dynamic SQL
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/2/14, 6:51 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> EXECUTE format('UPDATE tbl SET %I = newvalue WHERE key = %L',
>                     colname, keyvalue)
> or
-1, because of quoting issues
> EXECUTE format('UPDATE tbl SET %I = newvalue WHERE key = $1',
>                     colname)
>   USING keyvalue;
Better, but I think it should really be quote_ident( colname )
> A old examples are very instructive, but little bit less readable and maybe too complex for beginners.
>
> Opinions?
Honestly, I'm not to fond of either. format() is a heck of a lot nicer than a forest of ||'s, but I think it still
fallsshort of what we'd really want here which is some kind of variable substitution or even a templating language.
IE:

EXECUTE 'UDPATE tbl SET $colname = newvalue WHERE key = $keyvalue';

От: Jim Nasby
Сообщение: Re: DDL Damage Assessment
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X