Re: DDL Damage Assessment

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: DDL Damage Assessment
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/02/2014 09:30 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> Questions:
>
>   1. Do you agree that a systematic way to report what a DDL command (or
>      script, or transaction) is going to do on your production database
>      is a feature we should provide to our growing user base?

I would say it is late to the game and a great feature.

>   2. What do you think such a feature should look like?

I liked the other post that said: EXPLAIN <ALTER TABLE> or whatever.
Heck it could even be useful to have EXPLAIN ANALZYE <ALTER TABLE> in
case people want to run it on staging/test/dev environments to judge impact.

>   3. Does it make sense to support the whole set of DDL commands from the
>      get go (or ever) when most of them are only taking locks in their
>      own pg_catalog entry anyway?

I would think that introducing this incrementally makes sense.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."