Re: postgres 9.3 vs. 9.4

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: postgres 9.3 vs. 9.4
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 24/09/14 21:23, Mkrtchyan, Tigran wrote:
> Hi Merlin et al.
>
> after building postgres 9.4 myself from sources I get the same performance as
> with 9.3. The difference was in the value of debug_assertions setting.
>
> Now the next step. Why my 3 years old laptop gets x1.8 times more tps than my one month old server?
> And Mark Kirkwood's desktop gets x2 times more tps as well? Is there some special optimization
> for i7 which does not work with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660?

Yes - firstly, nicely done re finding the assertions (my 9.4 beta2 was
built from src - never thought to mention sorry)!

I'd guess that you are seeing some bios setting re the p320 SSD - it
*should* be seriously fast...but does not seem to be. You could try
running some pure IO benchmarks to confirm this (e.g fio). Also see if
the manual for however it is attached to the system allows for some
optimized-for-ssd settings that tend to work better (altho these usually
imply the drive is plugged into an adapter card of some kind - mind you
your p320 *does* used a custom connector that does 2.5" SATA to PCIe
style interconnect so I'd look to debug that first).

Cheers

Mark