Re: uncommon syntax in datatype.sgml

От Liudmila Mantrova
Тема Re: uncommon syntax in datatype.sgml
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On 16.07.18 20:42, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:
>> I have noticed uncommon English syntax in datatype.sgml, with two full
>> sentences following a colon in the same paragraph.
> I don't understand what's wrong with that.

Hi Peter,

I have brought this up because the backpatch to REL9_6_STABLE and below
has lost the capital letter after the colon (commit 037768cf), so I
think this phrase is likely to confuse others in a similar way.

The current syntax in master is indeed acceptable, e.g. Chicago Manual
of Style says:
"The colon may sometimes be used instead of a period to introduce a
series of related sentences." However, this wording suggests to me that
it's not the most common usage, so it can confuse non-native speakers
(like me).

Alternatively, we could fix the backpatch only. The patch based on
REL9_6_STABLE is attached if you decide to choose this path.

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com

Вложения