Re: can't restore database created with pg_dump

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: can't restore database created with pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/19/2014 07:51 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> All,
>
> I created a backup using pg_dump, postgres 8.3.  I'm trying to restore that into a new postgres 9.3.5 installation.
Ijust created the default text format output with pg_dump, and am trying to restore using psql < dumpfile.

First, you should use the pg_dump command from 9.3.5 to dump the
Postgres 8.3 database, it will 'know' about new features. This leads to
the comments below.

> I have images saved as bytea, and I get the following error when trying to restore:
>
> ERROR: invalid input syntax for type bytea.
> CONTEXT:  COPY images, line 8, column imageData:
"MM\000*\003':\242\200?\300\0208$\026\015\007\204BaP\270d6\035\017\210Da\317\307\350\030\000\001\177\..."

> On some of my installations the restore process works, and on some it fails.  All installations are moving from 8.3
to9.3.5.  Any ideas?

The default output format for bytea changed in 9.0:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/datatype-binary.html

So did the handling of escape strings:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/runtime-config-compatible.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-COMPATIBLE-VERSION

standard_conforming_strings (boolean)

     This controls whether ordinary string literals ('...') treat
backslashes literally, as specified in the SQL standard. Beginning in
PostgreSQL 9.1, the default is on (prior releases defaulted to off).
Applications can check this parameter to determine how string literals
will be processed. The presence of this parameter can also be taken as
an indication that the escape string syntax (E'...') is supported.
Escape string syntax (Section 4.1.2.2) should be used if an application
desires backslashes to be treated as escape characters.

My guess is that the installations differ on the escape string handling.
Again, I would think the best way to handle this is to use the 9.3
version of pg_dump.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Eric Smith
Сообщение: can't restore database created with pg_dump
От: Philipp Kraus
Сообщение: Re: cloning database