Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От Guy Rouillier
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/18/2014 2:44 PM, cowwoc wrote:
> Yes, that's what I meant. I just wanted to reinforce the fact that you
> don't need to bundle multiple JVMs (Oracle, OpenJDK and GCJ). You'd pick
> one and bundle it alongside PG and pl/java.

I've been following along as an interested observer, having used PL/Java
in the past, and developing with Java for a living.  I don't think
bundling is a good idea.  Gili, as you fully understand, Java is a
moving target.  Important vulnerabilities are discovered and updates are
pushed out to address.  So, any bundled version would be subject to
possibly rapid obsolescence.  Then there are organizational constraints
or concerns.  Some will only use official JDKs from Oracle/Sun, others
will only use OpenJDK.  Some won't move to a new major version until at
least the .1 release, others stick with their Java 6 company-wide
standard even though that version is officially EOL'd.

So, in my opinion the least contentious way to go would be to have a set
of instructions that inform the end user to install the JDK or JRE of
their choice, subject to defined constraints.  Then make PL/Java as
painless as possible to install.  This should not be a problem with
larger organizations, since most use centrally-administered software
configuration.

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier