Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От cowwoc
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
As far as I understand it, this is the end-user's problem (to be documented) as opposed to a development problem. As far as I know, the jni.h files should be compatible with all other JDKs on the same platforms so you only need to release one DLL/SO per platforms (like you would if this was plain C) and it is then up to the user to make sure the Postgres process has the right JRE DLL/SO in its PATH.

This shouldn't be too technically difficult to pull off.

Gili

On 17/09/2014 6:26 PM, John R Pierce [via PostgreSQL] wrote:
On 9/17/2014 3:07 PM, cowwoc wrote:

> Can you be more specific? Are you talking about load-time linking
> against jvm.dll/so?

$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so  or whatever, yeah.    the
path of that relative to $JAVA_HOME is rather variable, depending on a
lot of things, like 32 vs 64 bit JRE, x86 vs sparc/solaris vs AIX/power,
and I think GCJ has a considerably different directory layout.

Also...   are the jni.h files the same or at least interchangable for
the various flavors of Java?

--
john r pierce                                      37N 122W