Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От cowwoc
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 15/09/2014 3:50 PM, Thomas Kellerer [via PostgreSQL] wrote:

> cowwoc wrote on 15.09.2014 19:55:
> > H2, HSQLDB, Derby all support Java triggers.
>
> But only because they already live/run inside a JVM, so it's the
> "natural" choice of language.
>
> And H2 and Derby *only* support Java stored procedures.
>
> The main disadvantage I see with that is, that you can't "just" write
> a procedure (or trigger) with a simple (procedural) SQL Statement.
> Yyou need to compile it, package into a jar file and the add the jar
> file(s) to the classpath of the application (or the server process).
>
> This essentially means you need to restart your application or the
> server when you deploy a trigger.
> Hardly anyhting that you want to do in a production environment.

Thomas,

That is a reasonable point, but there is no technical reason for
requiring a restart. Typical implementations might require a restart
because of ease of implementation but if you were to load each JAR into
its own ClassLoader you could load/unload them without a restart.
Granted this requires more work, but we're not inventing anything new
here. This is how all major Java web servers work.

Gili