Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От cowwoc
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 15/09/2014 2:12 PM, cowwoc wrote:
On 15/09/2014 2:02 PM, lup [via PostgreSQL] wrote:
On 09/15/2014 11:49 AM, cowwoc wrote:
I think developers choosing this route (myself included) are willing to pay the price in exchange for improved readability/maintainability (the assumption being that the resulting performance will be "good enough"). There seem to be plenty of people heading in this direction otherwise other languages (like pl/v8) wouldn't enjoy the popularity they do.

Gili
I've seen too many good java developers write too much terrible database-oriented code.  If they are good with db and sql, plpgsql will not be a problem to learn.

lup,

Then does Postgresql support languages other than pl/pgsql? I'm not trying to tear down pl/pgsql, simply pointing out that there is strong demand for other languages as well.

And to answer Pavel's earlier point: the lack of developers getting behind pl/java and JDBC driver does not equate the lack of demand for those tools. For every one person contributing patches, there are 1000s who do not but are more than happy to use the finished work.

Gili

"Then does" was meant to read "Then *why* does" :)

Gili

Сообщение: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Сообщение: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?