Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От cowwoc
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?  (Alberto Cabello Sánchez <alberto@unex.es>)
Список pgsql-general
On 15/09/2014 7:03 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
I have a few questions on this, the answers of which may help answer your question:

1.  How well does having a server-side JVM work, resource-wise, when you have a forked process model like PostgreSQL?  Does having the additional JVM's pose performance and competition for resources that lighter languages would not?

I don't think this is really a concern when connection pooling is used (otherwise you end up creating a new JVM per connection which is indeed problematic).

2.  What is your specific use case for a trigger in Java?

The main drivers are:
  1. Not having to learn yet another language. I find the expressiveness and readability of the other scripting languages very clunky compared to Java.
  2. Ease of porting triggers across databases. The only thing that really changes across databases is how triggers interact with input/output parameters. The main body remains the same (thanks to JDBC). This is quasi portability in the sense that the underlying SQL is itself quasi portable, but I find it a much more compelling approach than having to rewrite the triggers for each database type.

Gili

Сообщение: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Сообщение: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?