Re: Feature request: temporary schemas

От cowwoc
Тема Re: Feature request: temporary schemas
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Nick,

I don't think this would help for three reasons:
  1. I'm already planning to run unit tests against a separate (but identical) database than production, so there's no danger of wiping out the production database.
  2. I need to create a new temporary schema per test, and run 4-10 of tests per second. I'm guessing this wouldn't perform well using "pg_ctl".
  3. And finally, I'd like to configure all this through JDBC (pure Java). "pg_ctl" would require me to interact with native code.
Gili

On 14/09/2014 5:52 PM, Nick Guenther [via PostgreSQL] wrote:

On September 14, 2014 5:01:54 PM EDT, cowwoc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to propose the ability to create temporary schemas.
>
>This would facilitate running unit tests, where developers would like
>to run
>the same creation script for unit tests and production code but do not

What if you ran a temporary database instead? You can use some combination of PGHOST, PGPORT, PGUSER and PGDATABASE to "pg_ctl start" an empty DB and then point your unit tests at it.  Then you aren't in danger of wiping out your production DB either.