Re: PostgreSQL Portable

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Portable
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/10/2014 2:00 PM, Daniel Begin wrote:

I just started to look at PostgreSQL to implement a large GIS DB (1Tb).  The data must reside in an external disk with eSATA connection and may be moved to different locations (and Windows desktops/laptops). I was looking to install PostgreSQL and PostGIS extensions on each PC (setting-up the proper PGDATA directory to the external disk) until I read about PostgreSQL and PgAdmin Portable …

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgadminportable/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresqlportable/

Is that a viable alternative considering the expected size of the DB? Any comments or proposal would be appreciated J

a 1TB database on a single disk drive, presumably 7200rpm, will not perform very well under any sort of concurrency, or doing any sort of operation that requires aggregating a lot of rows.

also, Windows disables writeback caching on external disks, this will greatly slow down update transactions.