Re: Re: [ADMIN] Cannot retrieve images inserted through VB and odbc, after a table reorganization.

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Re: [ADMIN] Cannot retrieve images inserted through VB and odbc, after a table reorganization.
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Re: Cannot retrieve images inserted through VB and odbc, after a table reorganization.  (Alanoly Andrews <alanolya@invera.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 09/04/2014 05:56 AM, Alanoly Andrews wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Thanks for that explanation of how the "relfilenode" changes after a table reorganization. It is not surprising that
thishappens because the table rows are being physically moved from one location to another. But such changes at the
backendshould be transparent to the end user. The VB code at the client side runs a simple sql like "select image from
image_tablewhere image_key=somevalue". There is no reference to postgres-specific internal variables like "oid" and
"relfilenode".I do not know the inner workings of the postgres odbc driver; but I would be surprised if it works at the
granularityof "oid" and "relfilenode" and that it would store the actual physical values of relfilenode (which would
keepchanging after every table reload, reorg etc.).

In addition to what David mentioned, some more detail on what you are
calling a 'large object'.  In Postgres there is not really a 'large
object' type(though I am guilty of saying there is), instead there is a
way of working with large objects outside of the bytea type. Now in the
ODBC FAQ there is a recipe for creating a 'lo' type:

http://psqlodbc.projects.pgfoundry.org/faq.html#4.4

Is this what you are using?

If not how are you working with the large objects?

Also given that you are working with the Postgres ODBC driver, you might
want to break the cross post rule and ask this question on the psql-odbc
list:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-odbc/

In any case your ODBC settings would be helpful.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: David G Johnston
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] Cannot retrieve images inserted through VB and odbc, after a table reorganization.
От: David G Johnston
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] Cannot retrieve images inserted through VB and odbc, after a table reorganization.