Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2

От Marko Tiikkaja
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/4/14 1:47 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> I've started a wiki page with the list of the things I could think of at
>> this very moment.  I probably got the most annoying ones in there, but I
>> also might have forgotten about some things.  I invite discussion of every
>> suggestion on -HACKERS.
>
> where I can wrote comments?

I guess comments could be added as a subsection if you feel -HACKERS
doesn't work.

> I am sorry, It is difficult - your usage of plpgsql is sometimes less, some
> times more against best practices :(

Best practices according to whom?  And which parts, exactly?  There's
quite a lot of stuff in there, both explicitly stated and implicitly
assumed.

> PL functions should not be only envelope to SQL statement

I disagree, to some extent.  Our "external" applications interface with
the database only by calling functions (which are often written in
PL/PgSQL).  If that function has no more work to do than to run a single
query, then yes, the function will just serve as an envelope to a single
query.  But that also allows the function to be changed in the future
without having to change the application.  Similarly to how you would
expose an API when communicating with others instead of giving them a
postgres user account and saying "update these tables" and after a month
saying "oh, you need to remember to INSERT into this table as well or we
won't have logs of what you did".

.marko