Re: PL/pgSQL 2

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/02/2014 07:51 PM, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> On 9/2/14 6:03 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Marko posted a patch to add assertions to PL/pgSQL last year, see
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5234AF3F.4000409@joh.to. It was a
>> long thread, but in the end I think everyone was more or less OK with
>> the syntax "ASSERT <condition>;". I also think that syntax is fine, and
>> it would be a nice feature, assuming we can avoid reserving the ASSERT
>> keyword.
>
> Did you really mean to say "more or less OK"?  I didn't wade through the
> thread, but my recollection is that I was the only one truly OK with it,
> some people expressed concerns but appeared undecided, and the rest of
> the participants were completely against it.

I didn't pay attention back then, but I just scanned through the thread
in the archives. Peter Eisentraut was fine with the syntax [1]. Pavel
Stehule was OK with "ASSERT ...", although he wanted to be able to
specify a level [2]. Jaime Casanova was OK with it [3]. And you can
count me in too. I didn't see anyone strongly opposed to it.

There was worry about reserving the keyword, and Pavel wanted the
level-feature, and there was discussion on the details of whether it can
be caught with EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS. Those are important details, but
there was a pretty good consensus on the basic ASSERT syntax by my count.

[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1385527300.28256.15.camel@vanquo.pezone.net)
[2]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRAoO=JmS+D30BK6j1PrVR04oaXDHYa9PO7PQY7zsbuSTA@mail.gmail.com