Re: dealing with lock

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: dealing with lock
Дата
Re: dealing with lock  (Thomas Poty <thomas.poty@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 04/06/2018 12:09 PM, Thomas Poty wrote:
> Thank you Laurenz !
>

> We will certainly have to change our release management.
>
> Is there a way to identify the list of statements that have to rewrite
> the table.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-altertable.html

Notes

"Adding a column with a DEFAULT clause or changing the type of an
existing column will require the entire table and its indexes to be
rewritten. As an exception when changing the type of an existing column,
if the USING clause does not change the column contents and the old type
is either binary coercible to the new type or an unconstrained domain
over the new type, a table rewrite is not needed; but any indexes on the
affected columns must still be rebuilt. Adding or removing a system oid
column also requires rewriting the entire table. Table and/or index
rebuilds may take a significant amount of time for a large table; and
will temporarily require as much as double the disk space."

For the more general case of modifying a table and the locks it takes,
search the above link for lock to see what locks are taken instead of
the default of ACCESS EXCLUSIVE.

For what the locks mean see:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/explicit-locking.html

> If I am right, at least these statements need to do this :
> - create a unique index
> - add a column with a default value

> Regards,
>
>   Thomas

> <mailto:laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>>:
>
>     On Fri, 2018-04-06 at 16:58 +0200, Thomas Poty wrote:
>     > Here is a bit of context : we are migrating from MySQL to PostgreSQL and we have about 1000 tables.
>     > Some tables are quite small but some others are very large. The service provided to our clients
>     > relies on a high avaiability with a minimum down time due to any legal deadlines.
>     >
>     > So, lets imagine :
>     > in Transaction 1 : I am querying Table A (select)
>     > in Transaction 2 : I am trying to alter Table A ( due to our product evolution)
>     > in Transaction 3 : I am want to query Table1 (select)
>     >
>     > in MySQL : Transaction 1 retrieve data in Table A.
>     > Transaction 2 : is trying to alter Table A but it is blocked by Transaction 1
>     > Transaction 3 : Transaction 1 retrieves data in Table A ( Retreiving data is possible until Transaction 2
commit)
>     >
>     > In PostgreSQL, it is a bit different : Transaction 1 retrieve data in Table A.
>     > Transaction 2 : is trying to alter Table A but it is blocked by Transaction 1
>     > Transaction 3 : Transaction 3 cannot retrieve data because  Transaction 2 did not terminate its transaction.
>     >
>     > So, with MySQL, the application is able to keep working with the table until the alter table completed.
>     >
>     > With PostgreSQL, the application will probably be blocked (until having the lock on this table).
>     > If I understand, if the alter table takes a long time (several hours) to execute, clients will be blocked
duringseveral hours.

>     >
>     > How do you deal with this problem? Maybe I missed something ?
>
>     The solution is to avoid ALTER TABLE statements that have to rewrite
>     the table outside of maintenance windows.
>
>     If your transactions are short, as they should be, it should not be
>     a big deal to add or drop a column, for example.
>
>     Yours,
>     Laurenz Albe
>     --
>     Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com