Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 26/08/14 10:13, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 08/22/2014 07:02 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I don't know that anyone has posted the benefits of HT.
>>> Link?
>>
>> There's definitely cases where it can help. But it's highly workload
>> *and* hardware dependent.
>
> The only cases I've seen where HT can be beneficial is when you have
> large numbers of idle connections.  Then the idle connections can be
> "parked" on the HT virtual cores.  However, even in this case I haven't
> seen a head-to-head performance comparison.

I recall HT beneficial on a single socket (i3 or i7), using pgbench as
the measuring tool. However I didn't save the results at the time. I've
just got some new ssd's to play with so might run some pgbench tests on
my home machine (Haswell i7) with HT on and off.

Regards

Mark

Сообщение: Re: tuning postgresql 9.3.5 and multiple cores
Сообщение: Re: tuning postgresql 9.3.5 and multiple cores