Re: For Loop in PostGIS

От Obe, Regina
Тема Re: For Loop in PostGIS
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I did some work to deal with this very issue.  Take a look at this and hopefully you will find it useful.

Hope that helps,
Regina

From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Bryan Manuel
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:48 PM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] For Loop in PostGIS

I am new to postgresql and I'm working with two tables, both having a geometry for postGIS.  What I am trying to do is get the five nearest people from one list for every person in the second.  I was trying to do this in a for loop - all I'm trying to do for now is display the 5 people for each person in the one list.

This code works as a command line argument to psql, and correctly finds five people for one query:

select lastname, city from eng_alumni order by ST_distance(point_geom,
 (select the_geom from points where text = 'Smith')) asc limit 5;

I tried to follow a for loop using the documentation, but it is not working.  This seems like something that a for loop would work well for, at least in other languages that I have learned.  Here is the code that I tried (running from a command line)

create table temp;
FOR temp IN SELECT text, the_geom FROM points ORDER BY text LOOP
  select lastname, latitude, longitude from eng_alumni order by
  ST_distance(point_geom, (select the_geom from temp)) asc limit 5;
END LOOP;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

  Bryan Manuel

HO HO HO, if you've been nice this year, email Santa! Visit asksanta.ca to learn more!

The substance of this message, including any attachments, may be confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure pursuant to Massachusetts law. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist printing this email and join us in saving paper.