Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 08/21/2014 02:11 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 02:02:26PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> Not sure how you can make such a blanket statement when so many people
>>> have tested and shown the benefits of hyper-threading.
>>
>> Actually, I don't know that anyone has posted the benefits of HT.  Link?
>>  I want to compare results so that we can figure out what's different
>> between my case and theirs.  Also, it makes a big difference if there is
>> an advantage to turning HT on for some workloads.
>
> I had Greg Smith test my system when it was installed, tested it, and
> recommended hyper-threading.  The system is Debian Squeeze
> (2.6.32-5-amd64), CPUs are dual Xeon E5620, 8 cores, 16 virtual cores.

Can you post some numerical results?

I'm serious.  It's obviously easier for our users if we can blanket
recommend turning HT off; that's a LOT easier for them than "you might
want to turn HT off if these conditions ...".  So I want to establish
that HT is a benefit sometimes if it is.

I personally have never seen HT be a benefit.  I've seen it be harmless
(most of the time) but never beneficial.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3
Сообщение: Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3