Re: PL/PgSQL: EXIT USING ROLLBACK

От Marko Tiikkaja
Тема Re: PL/PgSQL: EXIT USING ROLLBACK
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/26/14, 8:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> writes:
>> I'm not sure which case you're envisioning.  A label is required, and
>> the label must be that of a BEGIN block with an EXCEPTION block if USING
>> ROLLBACK is specified.  If that doesn't answer your question, could try
>> and explain (perhaps in the form of an example) which problem you're seeing?
>
> Well, restrictions of that sort might dodge the implementation problem,
> but they make the construct even less orthogonal.  (And the restriction as
> stated isn't good enough anyway, since I could still place such an EXIT in
> the EXCEPTION part of the block.)

That's a good point; the patch would have to be changed to disallow this
case.

> Basically my point is that this just seems like inventing another way to
> do what one can already do with RAISE, and it doesn't have much redeeming
> social value to justify the cognitive load of inventing another construct.

Yes, you can already do this with RAISE but that seems more like an
accident than anything else.  I feel a dedicated syntax is less error
prone and makes the intent clearer to people reading the code.  But I
realize I might be in the minority with this.

.marko