Re: Ask for two questions on psqlodbc

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Ask for two questions on psqlodbc
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
On 07/09/2014 10:03 PM, cobainpluto wrote:
> I want to know if you will add some check and when?

You're aware that psqlODBC, like PostgreSQL its self, is largely a
_volunteer_ effort, right? Or at least, that when work is done on a paid
basis it's usually for customers contracting specific work who have
specific requirements?

Hiroshi has been doing a great deal of work on psqlODBC and seems to get
very little by way of thanks for it.

It's helpful to do things like run static analysis tools, but the
greater part of the work involved in that is determining whether the
results are valid issues or false positives - and if they're valid, how
best to fix them. So when you run a tool then ask someone else to
process the results, that's putting a lot of work on them.

It would be extremely helpful if you were to spend some time examining
the code paths identified by this tool and forming opinions about what
might be happening / how the error could arise. If you can turn the tool
output into an explanation of "here's a bug and here's how it happens"
that makes fixing it a _lot_ quicker and easier.

It's good to see people interested and trying to contribute, so I'm not
trying to push back. I'm just trying to explain an aspect of this kind
of work that you might not be aware of. I hope it is helpful.