Re: Alter system and reload causes bogus complaints about setting changes

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Alter system and reload causes bogus complaints about setting changes
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 04/07/14 15:11, Amit Kapila wrote:

> True, but as I explained in that thread as well that this is an
> existing behaviour which is also visible via Alter System, so
> changing an existing mechanism requires non-trivial fix (eliminating
> duplicate entries during processing of config file) which I think
> can be risky doing at this time in terms of impact, however we
> can try to minimise the inconvenience user can face due to this feature.

However the existence of ALTER SYSTEM has made the likelihood of this
error much more likely, and also more confusing. Previously users *knew*
they were editing an additional include conf file or similar so the
advice 'eliminate clashes' was fine - the new functionality hides this
(which is great) but obfuscates the error and makes the error message
wrong (not so good). So some additional clarification is really required.

I have just had a similar conversation with some people here about ALTER
SYSTEM in 9.4 - they *loved* the feature, but were bemused (at the very
least) by the error message.

Regards

Mark

Сообщение: Re: Alter system and reload causes bogus complaints about setting changes
Сообщение: Re: Alter system and reload causes bogus complaints about setting changes