Re: pg_dump slower than pg_restore

От David Wall
Тема Re: pg_dump slower than pg_restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/3/2014 6:26 PM, Bosco Rama wrote:
> Hmmm. You are using '--oids' to *include* large objects? IIRC, that's
> not the intent of that option. Large objects are dumped as part of a
> DB-wide dump unless you request that they not be. However, if you
> restrict your dumps to specific schemata and/or tables then the large
> objects are NOT dumped unless you request that they are. Something to
> keep in mind.

I can get rid of --oids and see what happens.  I used to have
cross-table references to OID fields before, so this is no doubt a
holdover, but I think I am now using UUIDs for all such links/references
and the OID fields are just like any other data field.  It may not be
needed and I'll see if it speeds up the backup and restores correctly.

>> Many of the large objects are gzip compressed when stored.  Would I be
>> better off letting PG do its compression and remove gzip, or turn off
>> all PG compression and use gzip?  Or perhaps use neither if my large
>> objects, which take up the bulk of the database, are already compressed?
> OK.  Given all the above (and that gpg will ALSO do compression unless
> told not to), I'd go with the following (note lowercase 'z' in gpg
> command).  Note also that there may be a CPU vs I/O trade-off here that
> may make things muddier but the following are 'conceptually' true.
>
> Fast but big
> ============
>     $ pg_dump -Z0 -Fc ... $DB | gpg -z0 ... | split
>
> Less fast but smaller
> =====================
>     $ pg_dump -Z1 -Fc ... $DB | gpg -z0 ... | split

I'll give that a try now.  I didn't notice any real time savings when I
changed pg_dump without any -Z param to -Z 0, and oddly, not much of a
difference removing gzip entirely.

> BTW, is there any particular reason to do the 'split'?
Yes, I transfer the files to Amazon S3 and there were too many troubles
with one really big file.

Thanks again...

От: Sameer Kumar
Сообщение: Re: NOT IN and NOT EXIST
От: Bosco Rama
Сообщение: Re: pg_dump slower than pg_restore