Re: New mailing list?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: New mailing list?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 06/24/2014 09:56 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:

>> The alternative is for all of these folks to leave the postgresql.org
>> infrastructure, which may be a win for the infra team, but it's not a
>> win for the community.
>
> Yeah, I'm really not buying off on this.  Their alternative should be to
> use an existing list rather than pollluting the pg.org namespace with
> lists for every little thing.  If they go off and create their
> not-popular and not-used list on another provider, well, I don't think
> the community or anyone else really ends up losing out on much of
> anything.

What Josh is talking about is USERS not HACKERS. The docker packaging is
a perfect example. If I were a docker hacker that was trying to work
with PostgreSQL, I would have exactly -100 desire to join any current
list on PostgreSQL. It isn't relevant. I am trying to solve a very
specific problem. I don't want the noise of -hackers or -general.

However, the problem I am trying to solve would be continual as versions
change etc. Therefore I would want a dedicate place to work through the
issue. It may not be very active, but I want the resource there. It has
context and purpose.

Why in all that is holy and great in this eternal universe of Open
Source zealotry would I want to sign up for -hackers to solve that
problem? I am not looking to re-enter the garden of eden, I am just
trying to sow my patch of land.

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579