Re: So why is EXPLAIN printing only *plan* time?

От Andreas Karlsson
Тема Re: So why is EXPLAIN printing only *plan* time?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/27/2014 07:07 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rewrite timing could easily be captured by EXPLAIN since that call
> is done within ExplainQuery().  Parse analysis isn't, but we could
> imagine having transformExplainStmt() time the operation and stick
> the result into a new field in struct ExplainStmt.
>
> I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate to add all of these measurements
> as separate printout lines; arguably we should just fold them into
> "planning time".
>
> Thoughts?

I think folding them all (except flex+bison) into Planning time makes
sense since while the sum total sum is interesting to users you would
not want every EXPLAIN plan to be filled with timings.

If it is interesting to print them separately I suggest that is done as
an option to EXPLAIN, and not by default.

Andreas