Re: UUIDs in core WAS: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: UUIDs in core WAS: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/25/14, 12:58 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Well, I've already had collisions with UUID-OSSP, in production, with
> only around 20 billion values.  So clearly there aren't 122bits of true
> randomness in OSSP.  I can't speak for other implementations because I
> haven't tried them.

Or perhaps you should be buying lottery tickets? ;)

Can you write this up in a blog post? I've argued with people more than once about why it's a bad idea to trust on "1
ina bazillion" odds to protect your data (though, usually in the context of SHA1), and it'd be good to be able to point
ata real world example of this failing.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net