Re: slow startup due to LWLockAssign() spinlock

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: slow startup due to LWLockAssign() spinlock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/24/2014 07:24 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-04-24 11:02:44 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>
>>> I don't really see the advantage tbh. Assuming we always can avoid the
>>> spinlock initially seems simple enough - and I have significant doubts
>>> that anything but buffer locks will need enough locks that it matters
>>> for other users.
>>
>> FWIW, I like the LWLockAssignBatch idea a lot better than the currently
>> proposed patch.  LWLockAssign is a low-level function that has no business
>> making risky assumptions about the context it's invoked in.
>
> I don't think LWLockAssignBatch() is that easy without introducing
> layering violations. It can't just return a pointer out of the main
> lwlock array that then can be ++ed clientside because MainLWLockArray's
> stride isn't sizeof(LWLock).

Well, it could copy the pointers to an array of pointers that the caller
provides. Or palloc an array and return that. Allocating a large enough
array to hold NBuffers locks might not be nice, but if you do it in
batches of, say, 1k locks, that would make it fast enough. Makes the
caller a bit more complicated, but still might be worth it.

- Heikki