Dumping database creation options and ACLs

От Ronan Dunklau
Тема Dumping database creation options and ACLs
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello.

Not sure if I should file this on pgsql-bugs or pgsql-hackers...

As of now, the only way to restore database options and ACLs is to use=20=

pg_dumpall without the globals options. The often recommended pg_dumpal=
l -g +=20
individual dumps of the target databases doesn't restore those.

Since pg_dump/pg_restore offer the ability to create the database, it s=
hould do=20
so with the correct owner, options and database ACLs.=20

There was some discussion about those issues a while ago (see=20
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11646.1272814212@sss.pgh.pa.us for=
=20
example). As I understand it, the best way to handle that would be to p=
ush=20
these modifications in pg_dump, but it is unclear how it should be done=
 with=20
regards to restoring to a different database.

In the meantime, it would be great to add an option to pg_dumpall allow=
ing to=20
dump this information. We could add the db creation in the output of=20=

pg_dumpall -g,  and add a specific --createdb-only option (similar to -=
=2Droles-
only and --tablespaces-only).

Would such a patch be welcome ?

=2D-=20