Re: Excessive WAL generation and related performance issue

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Excessive WAL generation and related performance issue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/14/14, 4:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2014-04-14 14:33:03 -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
>> checkpoint_segments = 96
>> checkpoint_timeout = 10min
>
>> I realize there are many things that can be done to improve my
>> specific scenario, e.g. drop indexes before loading, change various
>> configs, etc. My purpose for this post is to ask if it is really
>> expected to get over 20 times as much WAL as heap data?
>
> I'd bet a large percentage of this will be full page images of the
> index. The values you index are essentially distributed over the whole
> index, so you'll modifiy the same indx values repeatedly. But often
> enough it won't be in the same checkpoint and thus will create full page
> images.

My thought exactly...

ISTM that we should be able to push all the index inserts to the end of the transaction. That should greatly reduce the
amountof full page writes. That would also open the door for doing all the index inserts in parallel.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net