Re: New gTLDs available / how to protect the PostgreSQL brand

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: New gTLDs available / how to protect the PostgreSQL brand
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 04/10/2014 10:58 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> I'm not really a fan of this.  We do own certain trademarks and if we
>> > don't at least pretend to enforce them appropriately they could end up
>> > being lost.
> That's fair, but we should see what the trademarks explicitly entitle us to in the context of the gTLDs.  If we're
notexplicitly entitled to "postgresql.expert" then it really becomes a race for the community to buy it up because we
maynot be able to enforce control of the domain.

There's a Trademark Clearinghouse thing I'm registering for; it should
block further attempts to grab domains etc.  Depending on who grabbed
some of the new domains, we may have to engage in enforcement actions;
however, we're fairly well staffed with people in this project who know
the domain dispute process quite well.

Of course, if folks acquired domains in good faith, we'll have to
compensate themfor their actual expenses.  And it may require explicit
authorization of already supported domain holders (postgresql.us,
postgresql.eu, etc.)

I don't think it's practical for the PostgreSQL project to engage in the
leasing of domains to commercial entities.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

От: "Gilberto Castillo"
Сообщение: Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins