Re: Hi & some questions regarding Properties & contribution

От Jürgen Rose
Тема Re: Hi & some questions regarding Properties & contribution
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi Dave,

The code itself is finished, I still have to test it and I'm still waiting on an answer from the OSGi mailinglist how properties should be handled which are not there (ignore or exception).

About the description property, I was just curious. Is there actually an up to date JDBC test suite somewhere? Do you test the driver for conformity somehow?

The Eclipse contribution policy is really strict. You can find details her: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Contributing_via_Git and here http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/ip-process-in-cartoons.php

The Apache process is pretty similar: http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas thats why it is not a problem for Eclipse to add dependencies based on apache projects. To provide a different example - Chef: http://docs.opscode.com/community_contributions.html and some more: http://openmetaverse.org/about-open-metaverse-foundation http://www.overte.org/contribution-agreement.html

It sounds like work, and it is work, and it makes it of course more difficult to participate. But it definitely gives you also some security that you don't run into legal problems.

Formatting:

I will not begin a formatting binge (-> ugly diffs). I just saw that in some files the formatting was inconsistent in the file itself, hence my question. Funnily enough, your example is exactly the style we use in the Eclipse SCADA project. For the JDBC driver I try to create a formatter which resembles closely the majority of the existing code, I'll add the file as well.

I found this in the README.md under "Testing":
You also need to test your changes with older JDKs. PgJDBC must support JDK5 ("Java 1.5") and newer, which means you can't use annotations, auto-boxing, for (:), and numerous other features added since JDK 5. Code that's JDBC4 specific may use JDK6 features, and code that's JDBC4.1 specific may use JDK7 features. Common code and JDBC3 code needs to stick to Java 1.5.
I would say, this paragraph is misleading. If you say PgJDBC must support JDK5, then annotations, enhanced for loops, generics and so on can be used! Only for JDBC2 this is relevant, but its not supported anyway as far as I understand the build. The only thing which one has to be really careful are things which were added after Java 1.5 (e.g. override annotations on interfaces, switch with strings etc).

best regards
Jürgen