Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins

От damien clochard
Тема Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins
Дата
Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins
Список pgsql-advocacy
Le 11/04/2014 15:19, Michael Paquier a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> While looking at the donation page of Postgres, I noticed that there
> is nothing to be able to give donations in bitcoins. I imagine that it
> could be nice to add a bitcoin wallet address that people could use to
> send donations to the PostgreSQL project, and have of course the
> wallet being managed by the same entity/people as the other money
> donations. Bitcoin public addresses have the disadvantage to show how
> many bitcoins a given address has received, but receiving even a
> little is better than nothing. The wallet address published on
> postgresql.org could also be changed periodically if showing the total
> amount received since the existence of the address is a problem.
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,

I think this question should be asked to the various non-profit
organizations among the community (SPI, PGUS, PG Europe, etc.) and each
one may have a different answer depending on how they want to handle
donations and money in general.

Speaking for the PGFR association, donations are not a primary source of
income for us and we don't have plans to develop it (we prefer focusing
on getting more members). Furthermore we already have 3 different ways
to accept payments (including paypal) and it's a lot of work to keep up
with everything, so we're currently trying to simplify it and handling
bitcoins does not seem simple at all :)