Re: About adding an attribute to pg_attibute

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: About adding an attribute to pg_attibute
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/25/2014 01:44 AM, Tanmay Deshpande wrote:
> We are trying add columnar support to postgreSQL and for that we need
> identify each column in each relation by an oid. So my doubt is how do
> we add an attribute/ a column to catalog pg_attribute ?

Is this some kind of class project?

I've seen at least three people post short, uninformative questions
about somewhat similar topics to this mailing list, all from gmail
addresses, in the last couple of days.

Rajashree Mandaogane <rajashree.28m@gmail.com>
Swapnil Bhoite <swapnil.temp28@gmail.com>
Tanmay Deshpande <tp.deshpande07@gmail.com>

Ah, yes, it is something like that:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPn0L0OXP9AFNR7UHWzKytVzzyY8Z-aqgFNPNabK-cGsCgE26w@mail.gmail.com

To make it easier to understand your questions and their context, in
future please:

- Use an email signature that says something about what you're working on, so we know who you are. There are lots of
peopledoing lots of things on this list. Or mark your emails with a subject tag like [COLSTORE] or whatever you call
yourproject.

- When somebody replies to you, and you have a new question as a result, reply to their reply. Do not make a new email
thread.

- If someone replies to you, respond. Don't just ignore their reply. If you didn't understand it, that's OK, we're all
learninghere. Say so. If you found it helpful, you can always follow up with a quick off-list email saying "thanks".

Finally, please remember that we don't know much about what you're
working on. When you're communicating by email, context is key. Don't
just say "how do I do X". Say "Is X the best way to achive my goal, Y?
If it is, any advice on how to do X?" . That will help us know whether
to say "Oh, do X this way" or "No, don't do that! You should do Z instead!".

Putting more effort into your questions will get you better answers.