Re: JSON Patch (RFC 6902) support?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: JSON Patch (RFC 6902) support?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/13/2014 09:53 AM, Ryan Pedela wrote:
> This is my first email to the PostgreSQL mailing lists so I hope this is
> the correct place. If not, please let me know.
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible and wise to support JSON Patch?
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6902
>
> One of the problems I have as a user is how to update a portion of a JSON
> object efficiently. Right now I have to read the entire field from the
> database, update it, and then write it back. I am thinking JSON Patch might
> be a good way to solve this problem because it would allow partial updates
> and I think it could easily fit into the existing set of JSON functions
> such as:
>
> // applies a JSON Patch
> json_patch_apply(json, patch)
>
> // diffs two JSON objects and produces a JSON Patch
> json_patch_diff(json a, json b)

I can't speak to the technical difficulties, but *I* would use it.

Note that on the backend Postgres is still going to re-write the entire
JSON value.  Also, we'd want both a json_patch and jsonb_patch, which
would have the same syntax but different internal plumbing.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.