Re: inherit support for foreign tables

От Etsuro Fujita
Тема Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(2014/03/11 14:07), Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
>> This seems far better than silently performing the command,
>> except for the duplicated message:( New bitmap might required to
>> avoid the duplication..
>
> I rewrote it in more tidy way. ATController collects all affected
> tables on ATRewriteCatalogs as first stage, then emit NOTICE
> message according to the affected relations list. The message
> looks like,
>
> | =# alter table passwd alter column uname set default 'hoge';
> | NOTICE:  This command affects 2 foreign tables: cf1, cf2
> | ALTER TABLE
>
> Do you feel this too large or complicated? I think so a bit..

No.  I think that would be a useful message for the user.

My feeling is it would be better to show this kind of messages for all
the affected tables whether or not the affected ones are foreign.  How
about introducing a VERBOSE option for ALTER TABLE?  Though, I think
that should be implemented as a separate patch.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita