Re: Removing support for < 7.4 servers

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Removing support for < 7.4 servers
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
On 03/07/2014 02:50 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> It would be good to do such big changes as part of the next major release,
>> 09.04.xxxx. But we need to start doing them earlier, and continue to do bug
>> fixes for the 09.03.xxxx series at the same time. Historically, we've only
>> maintained one branch of psqlodbc, the latest one. I don't think we want to
>> change that, so we need to be fairly careful to not do any big behavioral
>> changes to existing applications. Otherwise an application could get stuck
>> on an older release. Even with that constraint, there's a lot of old cruft
>> that we could safely remove and clean up.
> It would be nice IMO if odbc follows a branching model similar to jdbc
> or Postgres itself with stable branches dedicated to each major
> release. i imagine that as long as the clean up is not really done,
> such a development model is complicated because it would make
> development of bug fixes on back-branches more complicated though...

Well, as long as there are no big behavioral changes in the driver,
there's not much point maintaining back-branches. Users might as well
just grab the latest driver.

>> I'd suggest that you do the changes on a fork in github and keep the mailing
>> list posted on how it's going, and we merge that into the main psqlodbc
>> repository when it's time for the 09.04.xxxx release.
> Yep, no problem. Hm... I understand that this is hard to estimate, but
> I suppose that a potential target for a 09.04.X release would be once
> Postgres 9.4.0 is out. Thoughts?

Yeah, around that I time I guess. I believe the packagers would prefer
for the driver release some weeks before the server release, so that
they have time to package it and release together with the server.

psqlodbc has always been pretty relaxed about the schedule, and has
often lagged behind the server major version by months. There hasn't
really been much difference between a major vs. minor version bump in
psqlodbc.

- Heikki