Re: 09.03.0100 cursor failures on various architectures

От Inoue, Hiroshi
Тема Re: 09.03.0100 cursor failures on various architectures
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
(2014/02/26 1:56), Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>> Unfortunately I'm not happy with your summary.
>>
>> My point is simple.
>> Use ODBC data type variables instead of native C data ones when calling
>> ODBC APIs.
>
> Hmm, isn't that the same as my point 3?
>
> I was thinking of something like below for the docs:
>
> ----
> Don't use SQL_C_xxx. They are not part of the SQL/CLI specification, and
> hence not reliably portable across platforms.

Why does using SQL_C_XXXX lose portablity?
Even though SQL/CLI is a standard, ODBC also has been a (defact?)
standard which is older than CLI and widely used.
They are different standard.
We should begin a project e.g. pgsqlcli when we are to stop
using SQL_C_XXXX.

 > Instead, use the ODBC
> variable data types, like SQLINTEGER and SQLBIGINT, and the
> corresponding type codes (e.g. SQL_INTEGER and SQL_BIGINT).
>
> For example, the following code is not portable:
>
> long        empID;
> SQLBindCol(stmt, 1, SQL_C_LONG, (SQLPOINTER) &empID,
>      sizeof(long), &indicator);
>
> Instead, do this:
>
> SQLINTEGER  empID;
> SQLBindCol(stmt, 1, SQL_INTEGER, (SQLPOINTER) &empID,
>      sizeof(SQLINTEGER), &indicator);

Though the code works well, the code is wrong as an ODBC application
in principle.
The code works as expected simply because SQL_INTEGER has the same
value as SQL_C_LONG has fortunately.

> And if necessary, cast to the C type:
>
> long lEmpID = (long) empID;
>

> SQL_C_LONG, SQL_C_SLONG and SQL_C_ULONG in particular are known to be a
> problem,

I see no problem except the naming which should have been SQL_C_INTEGER.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan