Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/29/2014 08:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 01/29/2014 02:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I wish ORMs would go away sometimes too, and I recognise that there are
>> certain kinds of broken and stupid that it makes no sense to cater to. I
>> just don't think this is one of them - this problem is universal, I
>> can't think of an ORM that *doesn't* have it, and it's created by
>> PostgreSQL, not the ORMs.
>
> Uh, no, it's created by ORMs that haven't heard of type extensibility.
> The reason they don't have this problem with other databases is exactly
> because those other databases don't have type extensibility.

Agreed. An ORM that has tackled this issue is SQLAlchemy. It has the
concept of database dialects and uses that in hand with the extendable
sqlalchemy.types to deal with database specific types.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com