Re: Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC

On 01/29/2014 02:36 PM, David Johnston wrote:

> The "correct" solution would seem to be for ORMs to "bind unknown" against
> the input but only when the supplied string is meant to be a representation
> of a PostgreSQL type as opposed to being actual string data. The ORM is free
> to provide the necessary API to distinguish between the two and the caller
> has to know then database to call the proper method (i.e., not setString if
> your data intended for anything besides a text/varchar column).

I certainly agree that that's the ideal, and it's closer to achievable
than any other fix to these sorts of systems.

A challenge I've found when approaching this from the ORM side has been
getting people to care. The sentiment has tended to be along the lines
of: No other DBMS does this or requires this, why do we have to jump
through hoops just to make PostgreSQL happy?

I'm not claiming that's a good reason for inaction.

I think there's more hope of getting ORM systems to differentiate
between "unknown-typed literal" and "concrete text-typed literal" than
actually implementing proper support for Pg's numerous useful types. Not
much more hope, but some.

Look at the example that started this thread, though. The stack is:

PostgreSQL
  PgJDBC
    Java JDBC API
      EBean ORM
        Play! Framework

and *every level* needs to have a clue about this or a way to pass the
information trough transparently.

Now think about Hibernate, Sequel ORM, Django ORM, ActiveRecord,
EclipseLink, OpenJPA, DataMapper, Entity Framework, EBean, TopLink,
iBatis/MyBatis, Doctrine, Propel, CakePHP, Zend, SQLAlchemy, ....

Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a solution to this user pain point
in one place?