Re: drop duplicate buffers in OS

От KONDO Mitsumasa
Тема Re: drop duplicate buffers in OS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Attached is latest patch.
I change little bit at PinBuffer() in bufmgr.c. It will evict target clean file
cache in OS more exactly.

- if (!(buf->flags & BM_FADVED) && !(buf->flags & BM_JUST_DIRTIED))
+ if (!(buf->flags & BM_DIRTY) && !(buf->flags & BM_FADVED) && !(buf->flags &
BM_JUST_DIRTIED))

(2014/01/29 8:20), Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com
> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:53 AM, KONDO Mitsumasa
>     <kondo.mitsumasa@lab.ntt.co.jp <mailto:kondo.mitsumasa@lab.ntt.co.jp>> wrote:
>      > I create patch that can drop duplicate buffers in OS using usage_count
>      > alogorithm. I have developed this patch since last summer. This feature
>     seems to
>      > be discussed in hot topic, so I submit it more faster than my schedule.
>      >
>      > When usage_count is high in shared_buffers, they are hard to drop from
>      > shared_buffers. However, these buffers wasn't required in file cache. Because
>      > they aren't accessed by postgres(postgres access to shared_buffers).
>      > So I create algorithm that dropping file cache which is high usage_count in
>      > shared_buffers and is clean state in OS. If file cache are clean state in
>     OS, and
>      > executing posix_fadvice DONTNEED, it can only free in file cache without
>     writing
>      > physical disk. This algorithm will solve double-buffered situation problem and
>      > can use memory more efficiently.
>      >
>      > I am testing DBT-2 benchmark now...
>

> Have you had any luck with it?  I have reservations about this approach.  Among
> other reasons, if the buffer is truly nailed in shared_buffers for the long term,
> the kernel won't see any activity on it and will be able to evict it fairly
> efficiently on its own.
My patch aims not to evict other useful file cache in OS. If we doesn't evict
useful file caches in shered_buffers, they will be evicted with other useful file
cache in OS. But if we evict them as soon as possible, it will be difficult to
evict other useful file cache all the more.

> So I'm reluctant to do a detailed review if the author cannot demonstrate a
> performance improvement.  I'm going to mark it waiting-on-author for that reason.
Will you review my patch? Thank you so much! However, My patch performance is be
little bit better. It might be error range. Optimize kernel readahead patch is grate.
Too readahead in OS is too bad, and to be full of not useful file cache in OS.
Here is the test result. Plain result is tested before(readahead patch test).

* Test server
   Server: HP Proliant DL360 G7
   CPU:    Xeon E5640 2.66GHz (1P/4C)
   Memory: 18GB(PC3-10600R-9)
   Disk:   146GB(15k)*4 RAID1+0
   RAID controller: P410i/256MB
   OS: RHEL 6.4(x86_64)
   FS: Ext4

* DBT-2 result(WH400, SESSION=100, ideal_score=5160)
Method     | score | average | 90%tile | Maximum
plain      | 3589  | 9.751   | 33.680  | 87.8036
patched    | 3799  | 9.914   | 22.451  | 119.4259

* Main Settings
shared_buffers= 2458MB
drop_duplicate_buffers = 5 // patched only

I tested benchmark with drop_duplicate_buffers = 3 and 4 settings. But I didn't
get good result. So I will test with more larger shared_buffers and these settings.

[detail settings]
http://pgstatsinfo.projects.pgfoundry.org/readahead_dbt2/normal_20140109/HTML/dbserver/param.out

* Detail results (uploading now. please wait for a hour...)
[plain]
http://pgstatsinfo.projects.pgfoundry.org/readahead_dbt2/normal_20140109/HTML/index_thput.html

[patched]
http://pgstatsinfo.projects.pgfoundry.org/drop_os_cache/drop_dupulicate_cache20140129/HTML/index_thput.html

We can see faster response time at OS witeback situation(maybe) and executing
CHECKPOINT. Because when these are happened, read transactions hit file cache
more in my patch. So responce times are better than plain.

Regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения

От: Kouhei Kaigai
Сообщение: Re: WIP patch (v2) for updatable security barrier views
От: KONDO Mitsumasa
Сообщение: Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement