Re: Changeset Extraction v7.0 (was logical changeset generation)

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Changeset Extraction v7.0 (was logical changeset generation)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/16/2014 02:28 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> - If you address /* FIXME: apply sanity checking to slot name */, then
> I think that also addresses /* XXX: do we want to use truncate
> identifier instead? */. In other words, let's just error out if the
> name is too long.  I'm not sure what other sanity checking is needed
> here; maybe just restrict it to 7-bit characters to avoid problems
> with encodings for individual databases varying.

It's a common misunderstanding that restricting to 7-bit solves encoding
issues.

Thanks to the joy that is SHIFT_JIS, we must also disallow the backslash
and tilde characters.

Anybody who actually uses SHIFT_JIS as an operational encoding, rather
than as an input/output encoding, is into pain and suffering. Personally
I'd be quite happy to see it supported as client_encoding, but forbidden
as a server-side encoding. That's not the case right now - so since we
support it, we'd better guard against its quirks.

slotnames can't be regular identifiers, because they might contain chars
not valid in another DB's encoding. So lets just restrict them to
[a-zA-Z0-9_ -] and be done with it.